If you're shipping Internationally to the United Arab Emirates, you should be aware of the country's import rules; some of them may be unexpected or surprise you. Things you can't import into the UAE include:
. polished, whitened, artificial or imitation pearls
• printed matter offensive to Arabs or Muslims
• uninsured gold, jewels, platinum, or precious stones
• pork products
The rule about pork products relates to Muslim halal rules, which are fairly similar in both content and concept to Jewish kosher rules. Halal rules forbid Muslims from eating pork products. The United Arab Emirates is not the only country that prohibits shipping of printed matter.
Did you know that the United States has a law about what information is not allowed to be sent, called the Comstock Act,? The Comstock prohibits mailing of obscene information through the USPS, which includes information about abortions. The Comstock Act originally prohibited mailing of information about birth control as well.
Here are some more interesting facts about the United Arab Emirates (often called the UAE):
• The UAE is located in the Middle East and is bordered by the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, Oman, and Saudi Arabia
• Garfield occasionally tries to mail Nermal the kitten to Abu Dhabi, the capital of the UAE. The UAE does not appear to have any restrictions on kitten shipping.
• Dubai is the largest city in the UAE.
• The UAE takes its name from the fact that it is made up of seven shiekdoms, or emirates, and has a population of about 4.6 million people.
• According to National Geographic, falconry, is growing in popularity in Abu Dhabi.
Ready to ship to the UAE or another international location? Contact us and let us help you