If you are planning to move out of the country, (or if you are planning to return to the country), there are many factors to keep in mind when mapping out the logistics of your relocation. For example, when it comes to international shipping, what are some important arrangements to make in order to make your move as smooth as possible?
- Perhaps the first, and most important step is simply this: determine what you absolutely need to take with you, and what you can afford to leave behind in storage, give away, or get rid of. This can help you to save a lot of money in the long run.
- Make sure you provide a detailed packing list for each crate that will be exported and received during your relocation. The packing list should include a description of every item in the crate, along with each item's weight and measurements. This is essential for insurance purposes if any loss or damage occurs during transit.
- Along with the above point, make sure that you have performed a valuation of each item you are shipping.
- Make sure that you are using the right containers for your items. International shipments are often measured in cubic meters. For example, a cubical 20 ft shipping container can hold about 28 cubic meters, whereas a 40 ft container can hold 64. You don't want to pay more than you have to, so don't use bigger containers than are needed.
- Remember that air shipping is usually faster, but more expensive; ocean shipping is the opposite. It takes longer, but is usually more cost-effective. This can determine which method of shipping you decide to use for your items.
- Research which items may be prohibited by the country you are relocating to. For example, France prohibits the import of alcoholic beverages; England prohibits animal hair and wool; and Belize prohibits political literature of any kind.
There are many factors to keep in mind in your relocation. A relocation specialist can offer much assistance, and make the process easier for you. At Pack n Send, we can help you plan out the logistics of an overseas move. Contact us today for more information.